Baseball America finally got around to releasing the e-book version of its 2017 Prospect Handbook this week. There are plenty of Vancouver Canadians connections in the Blue Jays system as 17 former C’s are rated among the team’s Top 30 prospects, including eight from the 2016 team.
Here’s a breakdown of the list, starting with the eight C’s from last year’s squad. Rankings are in parentheses.
- (8) T.J. Zeuch RHP
- (11) Justin Maese LHP
- (15) J.B. Woodman OF
- (19) Josh Palacios OF
- (20) Patrick Murphy RHP
- (21) Zach Jackson RHP
- (25) Cavan Biggio 2B
- (27) Yeltsin Gudino SS
Here are the other 10 players with Canadians ties who rank among the Jays Top 30 prospects.
- (4) Sean Reid-Foley RHP
- (6) Richard Urena SS
- (7) Rowdy Tellez 1B
- (10) Jon Harris RHP
- (12) Max Pentecost C/1B
- (16) Ryan Borucki LHP
- (17) Francisco Rios RHP
- (18) Angel Perdomo LHP
- (29) Matt Dermody LHP
Reid-Foley is rated the 49th best prospect in Ben Badler‘s Top 50 MLB prospects list.
Here are the former C’s who were on last year’s Top 30 list but did not make the cut this year with 2016 rankings in parentheses.
- D.J. Davis OF (10)
- Clinton Hollon RHP (12) – Released.
- Roemon Fields OF (13)
- Tom Robson RHP (21)
- Mitch Nay 3B (23)
- Carl Wise 3B (25)
- Andy Burns 2B/OF (27) – Korea.
- Dwight Smith Jr. OF (28)
- Tyler Burden RHP (29) – Retired?
- Evan Smith LHP (30) – Released.
Baseball America names Roemon Fields as the fastest runner in the Blue Jays minor league system.
Other items of interest in the Blue Jays chapter of the Prospect Handbook.
- Perdomo was the biggest riser on this year’s Top 30 Blue Jays, going from 26 last year to 18.
- Biggio is rated as the hitter with the best strike zone discipline.
- Fields is listed as the fastest baserunner.
- 2016 C’s catcher Javier Hernandez is rated as the best defensive catcher.
- Urena is considered to be the best defensive infielder with the best infield arm at short.
- Jackson is considered to have the best curveball in the system.
- Reid-Foley throws the best slider.
- Borucki has the best changeup and control.
- Murphy is predicted to have a breakout season on the mound.
- Tellez and Urena are projected to make the Blue Jays 2020 team with former C’s Marcus Stroman, Aaron Sanchez, Reid-Foley and Zeuch in the starting rotation. Roberto Osuna is listed as the closer.
2016 Vancouver Canadians catcher Javier Hernandez is rated as the best defensive backstop in the Blue Jays system according to Baseball America.
Staying on the subject of prospect tomes, another one you should get your hands on is The 2017 Toronto Blue Jays Minor League Handbook from Jay Blue. I was asked to contribute to this year’s edition with a recap of the 2016 Vancouver Canadians season. Do not let that deter you from ordering one!
As the proud owner of every edition that has been released since 2014, this handbook is loaded with information about every Blue Jays prospect in the minor league system and has the lowdown of every minor league affiliate. It’s a very handy reference bible to have around and Mr. Jay Blue has done God’s work in putting it all together. You can click here to order one.